Sunday, October 23, 2011

What is Deschooling to my family?


   To us, it's getting away from four hours of homework every night. It's getting away from peer pressure. It's also about getting the spark back in my kids eyes. It the interest, the passion and the desire to learn that disappeared when they went to institutionalized learning. It's realizing that attention deficit disorder and executive function disorder are the labels they put on kids when they don't conform to what everyone considers "normal". All the symptoms of those two "disabilities" have disappeared since giving them one on one learning. Yes, disappeared! And to me, it's not having to fight with the public school district about getting my kids what they need, and being treated like less than a human when I persist. 

   My kids are learning a lot more now than they were when they had hours upon hours of homework after 6 hours in school, sitting at a desk, being told to be quiet while soaking up everyone else's germs. My kids haven't been sick once since leaving school. Not one cold. It's been almost two years! 

   I am and probably always will be deschooling myself. I was a public school student and I never experienced any other type of learning. So to break out of that box for my kids education is quite an adjustment. 
   
   We don't have a typical day. Every day is different. We do cover math, reading, cursive, and grammar daily. The rest of the time we fill with foreign language, science, history or art. We also believe that learning to take care of ourselves, and our home is important. The kids are very much a part of grocery shopping, cooking, laundry, and care of the many pets, etc. 

   DD2 loves Tae Kwon Do, and meeting new people and hanging out with friends. DD1 seems happy to stay at home and hang with her friends and is in a phase where she does not want an extracurricular activity at the time. I am sure she will outgrow that, and I have to let her do what she is comfortable with.

   My kids do use a curriculum, which is different than some Unschoolers. However, it's very eclectic.  I put it together and change it up to suit our needs. The entire time we have been homeschooling I have also worked full time. Ironic, because when I was a stay at home mom, I didn't think I could pull it off. Not only have I worked full time, but I did third shift and second shift. Both two shifts I said I would NEVER do. But when you don't live a cookie-cutter life, I guess you really can do anything!

   I am finally going to a first shift position, with the convenience of 6 am to 2pm. A little bit back to what is my normal, which I am happy about. My kids are not morning people and like to sleep in. This will allow them to sleep in, complete their morning routine (shower, eat, get dressed, etc) and by the time I get home, they will be ready to do their lessons. Field trips will be easier and getting together with friends. I also won't miss Tae Kwon Do in the evenings, and there won't be any rushing to get everything done by the time I have to leave for work. That alone will take my stress level down quite a bit. 

There will always be changes, and we will always adjust. 

   
   


No comments:

Post a Comment