Sunday, February 26, 2012

Raw, Vegan, Gluten and Guilt Free Cinna-Cookies

I was looking for some GF recipes for pretty much anything new. I found a similar recipe and altered it to my preferences. I am sick of the same old GF food where half of it leaves me craving the real thing. I have tasted the real thing since I was only diagnosed as gluten intolerant last year.  Now that 90% of the grocery store items are off limits, I am left to drool on the sidelines. This recipe may be the best thing I have tasted in months!

These cookies are absolutely delicious. I wouldn't even have to say it if you could smell them!

10-12 depitted dates
1 cup raw walnuts
1 cup raw almonds
1 tsp vanilla
1-2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 diced apple, optional (Mac, Macoun, or any sweet but not too bitter)

Blend all ingredients (except the apple!) in a food processor or Vita-mix until completely mixed. You may want ear plugs, it is quite loud. Certainly not for making during nap time for any little ones! You will know you are done mixing when it looks a bit like brown and tan sand, or small pebbles. I stopped blending when I knew the ingredients would stick together nicely in a small ball.
Get ready to get a bit dirty, clean bare hands works best to blend the apple into the mix. Then take a ping pong ball sized amount, roll into a ball then flatten. Repeat until all the mix is used. You will get about 12-15 cookies.
Place in food dehydrator for about an hour on 145F, then you can turn down to 110F for up to 7 hours. I preferred to only do the first hour, then refrigerate. Warning: You will be tempted to hide them on your family and have them all for yourself. They are very filling, so make sure you share. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment