Sunday, October 9, 2011

My 6th Grader the Entrepreneur!

So DD1 came to me tonight while she was supposed to be in bed. She brought me a five page business plan she was working on. Let me reiterate. While she was supposed to be asleep!


She has all sorts of ideas of how to earn money to buy another dog. She wants a Jack Russell to add to our family of pets. Mind you, we already have a 5 year old Italian Greyhound, three 6 year old cats, a painted turtle, 7 fish, and 7 hermit crabs. Guess who wanted all these pets? Ok, I admit, it was I who wanted the dog. Hmm, the 3 cats were the DH's doing, and oh wait, so was the turtle. (How that happened is a story for another day.) The fish came after that, intended as food for the turtle, but Squirt-the-Turtle didn't want to eat them. 


Okay, I admit it, most of the pets came from the DH and I wanting them. But those hermit crabs. Ugh. The smell when they molt. PEE - U! THOSE were DD1's request. And I, Mommy get to take care of them. Lucky me. 


But now she wants another dog. Of her own. (Thanks Animal Planet!) And she has a business plan. Man, homeschooling has changed everything. When she left public school, forming a paragraph in 4th grade was not even established in her abilities. Now, a year and a half later, a five page passionate business plan. You see, this takes me two, no, three places. One: a proud Mama who sees how far homeschooling can take a child who suffered executive function disorder and inattentive A.D.D. Two: I think we have overcome the concerns in #1. Three: She wants ANOTHER PET?! 


Obviously, she would have to earn every penny. That will take time. I sure hope by then, she changes her savings goal to something more realistic, like an iPod!  







2 comments:

  1. Imma not going to tell ya what I am presuming each "D" to mean in my head. They are QUITE different for each character. Teehee!

    ReplyDelete